Senior Kenyan electoral official tortured, killed days before vote

Violet Powell
August 3, 2017

Chebukati, who addressed journalists outside the Nairobi's city morgue, said the voting authority is working with police to find those responsible for Msando's death.

The woman who was found dead together with Msando has since been identified.

Msando, who had a key role developing a new electronic ballot and voter registration system at the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission, had been missing for three days.

Wafula Chebukati, the commission's chairman, said it was clear that Mr Msando "had been tortured" before his death.

Chebukati announced the cancellation of that audit after Msando's killing.

He has urged the Government of Kenya to provide adequate protection for all electoral stakeholders to guarantee the security and integrity of the electoral process.

The United States and the United Kingdom have offered assistance in the murder investigation.

Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta has ordered for speedy investigations into the murder of IEBC ICT Manager Chris Msando and a female companion Carol Ngumbu.

'I have a boa constrictor stuck to my face'
The snake was disposed of and the woman was taken to a local hospital where she was treated for non-life threatening injuries. When first responders arrived at the scene they found the woman lying on her driveway with the snake wrapper around her body.

While 2013's polls were largely peaceful, Kenya remains traumatised by a disputed 2007 election, which Odinga claimed was rigged.

"All presidential candidates and their running mates also need to have security to avert any excuses of postponing the elections", President Kenyatta said during a Jubilee campaign rally.

The main opposition group has charged that Kenyatta wants to rig the upcoming election, an accusation the presidency has denied. "This will definitely raise suspicious and undermine public confidence in the outcome", he said.

Odinga said fraud robbed him of victory in the past two elections.

In 2007, he called for street protests after tallying was abruptly stopped and a victor announced.

Msando's death was confirmed less than an hour before he was scheduled to oversee the test run of the live results transmission system in Nairobi on Monday.

Recent months have seen reports of voter intimidation and violence, which has displaced people from where they are registered to vote.

Other reports by PlayStation Move reviews

Discuss This Article