Two shot dead in Kenya election protests

Violet Powell
August 13, 2017

On Friday, Kenyatta was declared the victor of Tuesday's election by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC), winning his second term with 54.3 per cent of the vote.

At least three deaths were reported in the days between the election and the announcement of the results Friday night as opposition supporters protested and clashed with police.

Kenyatta, the 55-year-old son of Kenya's first president after independence from Britain, appealed for calm and unity after the bitter campaign.

Farmajo who congratulated Kenyatta on his re-election said Somalia remains committed to promote peace, open trade and economic cooperation with Kenya.

He said he was extending a "hand of friendship" to "our older brother", Odinga, 72.

"We need and must continue to work together for the welfare of our people and in order to keep this country united", said Kenyatta, who also defeated Odinga in 2013. "And I am certain that there is no single Kenyan who would wish for us to go back to this".

Justice Department issues grand jury subpoenas over Trump Jr. meeting
USA intelligence agencies have concluded that Russian Federation attempted to sway the presidential contest in Trump's favor. Trump has repeatedly denied collusion with the Russian government and has called Mueller's investigation a " witch hunt ".

"No life should be lost because of an election", said John Oballa Owaa, vice chairman of the Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops.

In statement issued shortly after the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission announced Kenyatta as victor of the 8 August general election, Museveni said he is confident that his counterpart Kenyatta will continue with the efforts of promoting unity and development of Kenyans. Another five people were injured by gunfire in Kisumu. Youths also were reported to be throwing stones at cars in Kibera. "One can conclude they [electoral commission] are not keen on taking our concerns seriously", Musalia Mudavadi, a senior official of the National Super Alliance and former Kenyan vice president, said.

Earlier in the day, opposition supporters burned tires and blocked roads in several areas.

The long wait for election results increased tensions in the nation of 45 million people, though the commission by law had until August 15 to announce them.

Kenya's post-election violence worsened on Saturday as police used tear gas on a convoy of opposition officials in the capital and a mortuary official said nine bodies with gunshot wounds were brought to a Nairobi morgue from a slum that is an opposition stronghold.

The election commission affirmed there was a hacking attempt but said it failed, and that Odinga's camp had no right to declare him the victor.

Other reports by PlayStation Move reviews

Discuss This Article