Suspect in Times Square blast described as disgruntled, ISIS-inspired

Jon Howard
December 15, 2017

NY emergency authorities were responding to reports of an explosion at New York's Port Authority, one of the city's busiest commuter hubs, during Monday morning's rush hour.

The device exploded in an underground passageway around 42nd Street and 8th Avenue in Manhattan, near the Port Authority subway station and bus terminal, according to the NYPD. "Thanks to the quick response of these fearless Port Authority Police officers, the suspect was apprehended, there were no serious injuries and the PABT was secured without further incident", O'Toole said.

James P. O'Neill, Commissioner of the New York City Police Department, said, "The suspect is a 27-year-old male who strapped an "improvised low-tech explosive device" to his body". The suspect had burns and lacerations while three other people, including a police officer, sustained minor injuries.

The suspect, Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, was indicted last month on murder and terror-related charges, the US Attorney's Office for the Southern District of NY said. All of the injuries were non-life-threatening, according to the Fire Department of NY.

No one other than the suspect was hurt in the blast which reportedly happened at 7.30am EST.

"Let's be clear that this was an attempted terror attack", Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said President Donald Trump has been briefed on the incident.

New Research Highlights Strengths & Weaknesses of the Flu Shot
If you're a health care worker and you haven't gotten a flu shot, you're required to wear a face mask when working with patients. Putting others at risk can be risky and you could also give the flu back to yourself if you're continuing to work.

- Alan Butrico owns a residential building next door to the building where he says Ullah and his family live.

Less than three hours after the blast, officials said all trains and buses were running.

The A, C and E subway lines were being evacuated, Sgt. Brendan Ryan told HuffPost. "Info is preliminary, more when available", it tweeted.

"All we could hear was the chaos", she said.

NY state Governor Andrew Cuomo, speaking at a news conference near the site, described the device as "amateur-level".

Eight people were killed and several wounded in Manhattan when Sayfullo Saipov rented a pickup truck and ploughed into cyclists and pedestrians in October.

The incident was the second in the fourth quarter of the year that New York City saw one individual conducted terror attack in the busiest areas of Manhattan.

Other reports by PlayStation Move reviews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER