5 injured in USA school shooting

Tricia Pearson
February 4, 2018

Police said that a shooting at a Los Angeles middle school which left four children injured was accidental.

A strikingly similar shooting to Thursday's happened just south of Los Angeles in Gardena on January 18, 2011, when a gun went off inside a 17-year-old boy's backpack after he set it on a desk, wounding two students with one bullet, including a girl who was shot in the head.

Two students - a 15-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy - were found with gunshot wounds and transported to local hospitals, according to authorities.

Both are expected to fully recover, and Los Angeles police said they did not believe the shooting was intentional.

Two other students, 11 and 12, had graze wounds related to the incident and a 30-year-old female staffer had a minor injury.

Police recovered a gun from the scene.

Dr Aaron Strumwasser, at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, said: "I think he will do fine..."

'As a parent, this is everyone's worst-case nightmare, ' LAPD Deputy Chief Bobby Arcos later said at a news conference. She said she had been texting her daughter, but hadn't heard back. LAPD officials said it appears the girl did not plan to shoot when she brought the gun into school.

US Sanctions Six People, Seven Firms Under Rules Targeting Hezbollah
Today will be a "very bad day for" Mr Tabaja, a senior administration official told the news agency AFP , speaking anonymously. The sanctions freeze any assets in the US and bar Americans from dealing with those being sanctioned.

Percentage of 160 so-called active shooter incidents in the United States between 2000 and 2013 that were in elementary, middle or high schools, according to a Federal Bureau of Investigation report.

The gunfire erupted in a full classroom shortly after the morning bell Thursday and sent students fleeing.

On Friday morning, anxious parents accompanied their children to the school as classes resumed. "She was like, 'I didn't mean to".

Maria Serrano reluctantly dropped off her 12-year-old daughter at school. "I didn't think something like this would happen here".

Police guard a roadblock to Salvadore Castro Middle School in Los Angeles, California on February 1, 2018, where two students were wounded, one critically, in a school shooting.

After the campus was declared safe Thursday, the school day continued, and students could talk to counselors about the shooting, said Vivian Ekchian, interim superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District.

Guadalupe Segura placed her hand on her heart as she watched her 13-year-old daughter, Jazmine, walk into the Westlake middle school, along with dozens of other students.

"We will attend to the needs of these students who witnessed this very carefully, with the understanding this is very traumatic", he said.

Other reports by PlayStation Move reviews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER